Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Author Interview With J.A. George

J.A. George
Author of The Hayven Series

Hello Bookworms!! So recently, I was asked to read and review Gifted which is book one in the Hayven Series created by J.A. George

As soon as I started reading it, I knew that it was going to be an interesting story! Although it's not my normal genre, I actually really did enjoy it! I do have my review up if you want to check it out right here. Alright, without anymore chit-chat, let's get to this interview!


Q. Were you a reader before you became a writer? And do you prefer reading or writing now?
A. I was a reader before I started writing but I prefer them both equally now. I don’t think there is anything much better than curling up on the sofa in front of the fire when it’s raining outside with a cup of tea, a slice of cake and a good book. But pouring all of your ideas out and creating something substantial from them is also a pretty amazing feeling.

Q. Where do you get your inspiration from?
A. I attempt to make the impossible seem as possible as I…possibly can. 

Q. What was the idea behind starting The Hayven Series?


demi lovato singer artist young strong fighting womanA. I wanted to read it! I wanted to read about an ordinary female protagonist in an extra-ordinary world. I wanted to read a book about real young adult relationships and friendships with a lot of diverse characters. I just wanted to read something a bit different to what’s out there at the minute.

Q. Do you feel emotions while writing any scene? How can you relate to the stories in your personal life?
A. I feel very connected to my characters and so definitely feel sad when they do, happy when they do etc. Events that take place in Gifted has either happened to me but I’ve exaggerated or extended it or it’s fiction.

Q. What was the thought process behind creating Bales and the other Hayven Characters?
A. They’re just characters I want to meet, characters I wanted to read about. Not one character from Gifted is based completely on someone I know, but I borrow traits and personalities from friends, mesh them together and perhaps I’ll have made half of one character.

Q. Who or what made you decide to write/ become an author?
A. The fact that life is too short to not spend it doing what I love. Writing is what I love and so it seems a good way to spend my life.

Q. What is your favourite "SHIP" from the books you have read and loved?
mashable  alan rickman snapeA. As controversial as this will end up being: Snape & Lily. ALWAYS. *cries*




Q. What is the hardest thing about writing and what advice can you give to budding authors?
A. Don’t write solely for the book market! Trust me, don’t do it. You’ve been warned. I learnt that the hard way when it took two years for me to realise that I was miserable trying to write something I didn’t like. Nowadays, the YA fantasy book market usually features a bad-ass protagonist in a dystopian society with a few smouldering hot guys fighting for her attention. So I tried to recreate that despite the fact that I don’t like reading such books. I just thought it was what YA readers would want. Because of this, I ended up hating Gifted until I reverted back to writing what I wanted to read. I could have spent those two years doing something much more useful; I could have been writing book three by now, but you live and you learn. That's some super helpful advice!!
Q. Since your first novel is out, do you have a plan on how many books are in the series?
A. Right now, the plan is four. But you never know! *Ouu!! Can't wait!*

Q. Fun facts about yourself...
A. Fun? Well, it depends on your definition of ‘fun’. I’m a little…weird, which my friends find entertaining. I like to eat and eating is a lot of fun…

Q. If you could collaborate with any author, who would it be and why?
A. George R. R. Martin. Just because I’d love to see what we come up with. To 
be honest, I’d probably just agree with everything he says. The creator of Game of Thrones can’t be wrong, right?!

Q. While reading Gifted, I actually got both sides to Fantasy and Romance. Have you ever thought of writing a novel in just one genre?
A. Absolutely not! I wouldn’t know how to stick to one genre. I wrote Gifted because I wanted to read it and I like reading a lot of different genres, so writing one would be fairly impossible, I think.


Q. What draws you to your characters in your novels?
A. The fact that I’d like to meet them. I wish I could hang out with them in real life. Imagine the fun!

Q. Is there anything in the works right now?
A. Book two and that should be out by November this year. *YAY!*


Q. Paperback, Hardcover, or E-Book?
mad men jon hamm reading don draper dante alighieriA. Paperback. It’s easier to carry than a hardback and staring at a screen for too long makes my eyes hurt.

Q. 3 words to describe yourself.
A. Passionate. Creative. Hungry.





Still want to know more? Well here are some places you can find her and her work:


And that is all for my Interview Bookworms!! I hope you enjoyed getting to know more about J.A. George! I definitely cannot wait for the next book in this series to come out! That ending seriously had me wishing I could immediately pick up the next one!

So until the next time, Keep Reading!
Your Graduated Bookworm!! :)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top